24 Amazing Facts About Matcha Green Tea
Matcha: There is so much to know about this health gem. So, in this post, we are going to explore 24 amazing facts about Matcha Green Tea - from its health benefits to snippets of its history!
1. Matcha was once praised by Chinese emperors for its medicinal properties
2. It was brought over to Japan from China in 1191 by Eisai, a Zen-Buddhist Monk.
3. It was once consumed by monks who drank it prior to meditation to induce a state of focused-relaxation.
4. It is at the center of traditional Japanese Tea ceremonies (茶道 Sadou), which embody the cultural and religious aesthetics of zen-buddhism!
5. It is traditionally prepared two ways: 濃茶 (koicha) or 薄茶 (usucha) - meaning thick-tea, and thin-tea, respectively.
6. Matcha, in Japanese (抹茶), means ground tea!
7. The higher-quality the Matcha is, the more health benefits it provides!
8. Matcha comes in three grades (culinary/cooking/latte, premium, and ceremonial grade).
9. Ceremonial grade (the highest-quality of them all) is a vibrant green color, comes from the highest-quality leaves at the top of the Camellia Sinensis plant, is naturally sweet with tints of floral, and has an umami (savory) kick!
10. That umami flavor you taste is actually due to the presence of L-theanine, (the zen-meditative compound), which explains why low-quality Matcha doesn't quite have the same delicious and relaxing kick!
11. Matcha has about 35mg of caffeine -- which is about a little more than a 1/3 of the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee.
12. But because the caffeine bounds to the compounds in Matcha, including L-theanine, it is slowly absorbed into the bloodstream over 4-6 hours. This means that you feel awake and focused without caffeine-jitters or crashes.
13. One cup of Matcha is equivalent to 10 cups of green tea.
14. And therefore Matcha has 137x the amount of antioxidants in green tea.
15. Because you mix Matcha in with water and drink it as is, you are getting 100% of all the nutrients, (as opposed to brewing the tea leaves and throwing them away).
16. While blueberries have a ORAC (antioxidant) count of 94, Matcha has 1384 ORAC units per gram! That's really healthy!!
17. Antioxidants are known to repair cellular damage and protect against further damage.
18. This is a result of antioxidants ability to fight against free-radicals, the aging and cancer-causing oxidative atoms.
19. This means that Matcha can actually help to boost your immune system!
20. Matcha has been shown to increase the rate of thermogenesis (your daily expenditure) by a whopping 35%.
21. This is due to its presence of catechins, including the powerful EGCGs, which actually induce the breakdown of fat cells!
22. Hence, people who drink Matcha on a daily basis are known to have faster metabolisms than those who don't and tend to keep off the extra pounds!
23. The more blue-green the powder is, the more Chlorophyll it has, which acts as a natural detoxifier!
24. L-theanine, a compound present in Matcha, has been at the center of studies involving using it as a form of anxiety medication -- it's relaxing properties are that strong!
Love all these facts? Want to be healthy and happy? Our ceremonial grade Matcha is now on sale!!!